Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sweet

Who knew how sweet my Girl's Night Out (GNO) time would be?  A group of five or six friends began meeting once a month about a year and half ago.  The group has grown to eight and we have already lost one friend when she and her family moved to Iowa.  We miss you A!

It all started with a friend of mine asking me and one other person to start this group, we each then thought of one or two friends and here we are 1.5 years later.  The only criteria was that those that joined the group attended our church.  The focus was on friendship and helping each other grow in our faith.

These women have become dear friends that have made me laugh, think and grow in my faith.  We don't spend our time with our noses in the bible and praying.  We talk about our families, kids, work, parenting and some other fun topics that I will not mention here.  Wink, wink.  But the underlying theme to our time together, at least for me, is supporting one another and helping us grow spiritually and as women, wife and Moms.

Last year at our December GNO, we talked about reading through the bible in a year together.  And, for those that completed it by December 31, 2010, we would be rewarded with a GNO weekend away...just us, with no kids or responsibilities.   This has been one of the most challenging things I have done for my faith.  I have read parts of the bible, but never the whole thing.  It has been an act of discipline for sure… it is very hard to keep on schedule with "life" getting in the way.  And, I have 1.5 months to read by the end of the month.  But, I will get it done.  I made the commitment to the group and to myself.  I can not say I am retaining it all, especially now that I am under the gun.  But, it has been such a great experience, good for my kids to see me reading my bible and so nice to read scripture for myself instead of relying on a bible study or sermon to guide me.

I would have NEVER done this on my own.  I would have never stuck with it without these ladies (and the thought of the weekend away!).  It is amazing what a group of women who's only common denominator was attending the same church.  While we are all in somewhat of the same stage of life with our families and kids, we are all different ages (hmmm, and yes, I am the oldest the bunch), different family backgrounds, education, faith experiences, etc.

These women as so special to me and it has been exciting to see our friendships grow and how much deeper we can share things that matter to us.  No one judges, no one tries to one up each other.  We just listen, support, laugh and share.  So refreshing in this day and age.

So GNOs… if you are reading this, know that you mean the world to me.  God Bless.  

1 comment: